List of stuff I use (and like)
The following is a list of my favorite tools, most of which I use in my daily life, digital and otherwise. I try to use open source, minimalist software, but that doesn't always work out.
- Operating System - Ubuntu, Mac, Windows, yes all of them
- Development - VSCode, for almost anything, even Java
- Shell - zsh (with oh-my-zsh)
- WSL - absolute must when on Windows
- GitHub - primary source control for all projects
- Pass - the standard unix password manager
Generally I prefer using Kubernetes, and containers whenever possible. I find that the automation and tooling are unbeatable.
- DigitalOcean - Kubernetes
- Hetzner - K3S, on a cheap and "good enough" VPS provider
- Grafana & Prometheus & Loki - Logging and Monitoring
- Lens - IDE for Kubernetes clusters
- ArgoCD - Best Kubernetes CD automation
- DockerHub - Container repository and automated CI
I'm agnostic when it comes to any tools, and programming languages are no different for me. I believe that having a good understanding of the overarching software engineering concepts is much more important than being a specialist in one particular syntax.
- C# - Best language for professional use. The more experienced I get, the more I admire the language design
- TypeScript - Amazing for greenfield backends and a must for frontend
- Python - Best for rapid iterating. I'm missing better types and better async support
- Go - Big fan, would love some professional mileage on it
- Postgres - Favorite SQL database
- MongoDB - Favorite general purpose database
- Redis - Favorite "cache" database
- Kafka - Favorite event streaming platform (database? it's complicated...)
- Svelte - Top favorite ATM, love the minimalism. It still needs some work on the dev tools.
- Vue.js - Ex-favorite, wish it was a better fit with TypeScript
- React - Nobody's favorite, but it's got the best game in town. De-facto choice, if perception is a factor
- React Native - Best cross platform app development platform. For simplicity, I use it via Expo
Awesome random stuff
- Eleventy - Simplest static site generator
- Syncthing - Simple file sync between machines
- Neo4j - Graph Database for when you're sick of joins
- Beekeeper studio - The smoothest, best looking, and easiest to use SQL client for MySQL, Postgres, SQLite, SQL Server, and more.
- Robo 3T - Native and cross-platform MongoDB manager
- Outline - Outline: open, extensible, wiki